Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway - Part I

Mt. Bachelor


Kendall and I have been exploring Central Oregon. Part of our explorations took us out to the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway. We did it in two different parts - the north part and then the southern part. The highway leaves out of Bend and heads west into the Cascade mountains.


We got stopped for road construction along the way, so I stuck my camera out the window and took a picture of this. I have no idea what it is.

Elk Lake
We stopped at Elk Lake resort to take some pictures. Elk Lake is pretty big and the "resort" included a campground, store, and a gas pump.

Elk Lake

Crane Prairie Reservoir


Our next stop was at Crane Prairie Reservoir. What a serene place. Not many people are out camping and boating in September, but it's the perfect time to explore these mountain lakes.

Another view at Crane Prairie Reservoir

I read that there's a 10 mph speed limit everywhere on the reservoir, so I imagine it's not too loud during the busier season.

Deschutes River

The Deschutes River originates from a few different feeds farther up in the mountains and flows all the way out to the Columbia River. It's one of the most beautiful rivers I've seen.

Deschutes River
We headed back across the middle of the loop that makes the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway. I decided to hold off on the southern half until another day.

No comments: