Friday, September 24, 2010

Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway - Part 2

We headed out on the southern half of the loop made by the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway on another day. The skies were clear making for some nice pictures along the way.

South Twin Lake
Our first stop brought us to the South Twin Lake Resort. There's a nice National Forest day use area there. It was pretty quiet during the middle of the week in late September, but I bet it's pretty busy during the summer.

Looking the other way at South Twin Lake

The Wickiup Dam is about 4 miles further down a gravel road. I'd love to see it sometime but didn't want to head down a gravel road alone during the quiet season.

Crane Prairie Reservoir

Our next stop was at Osprey Point campground and boat launch. According to the map, this is on the other side of the Crane Prairie Reservoir than we were on before. I could see boats way across the water.

Creek running off the reservoir
Our next stop was Cultus Lake. I've heard a lot about this lake but had never had the chance to visit. I can see now why so many people vacation up here.



Kendall had a great time visiting all of the mountain lakes. I can see we'll have to come back and visit. One thing I didn't mention is that all of these stops require that you have a Northwest Forest Pass. I picked up an annual pass for $30 and have already gotten my money's worth.

No comments: