Monday, February 15, 2010

The Importance of Microchips

Earlier this week I was browsing the Wanted section of our local Craigslist (you never know what people are looking for that you might have sitting around) and saw that someone had posted a "Found Puppy" ad. It was a strange place for a found puppy ad so I looked over in the Pets section and saw that someone in the same town had lost a puppy. I emailed the owner and he was able to get his puppy back. Yay!

I asked him whether the puppy had tags or even a microchip. The puppy didn't have either when it was lost, but does now. Turns out that the person who found the puppy did take it to a vet to look for a microchip, but none was found. It was this puppy's lucky day, but it could have turned out much worse. I can't recommend microchipping your dog enough. Please, if you have a dog, microchip him, or at the very least put some tags on your dog so you can be reunited.

OK, I'm getting off my soapbox now.

UPDATE: I can't believe it. It happened again tonight. I was perusing the Pets section and saw a dog that was found near here. I looked in the Lost and Found section and there was a similar dog. I hooked the two people up and the owner got her dog back. Yay! So glad it all worked out well.

No comments: